It’s halfway to the most wonderful time of the year! With the season starting earlier – and double-digit ecommerce growth expected – now’s the time to dot your i’s and cross your t’s so don’t miss out on your slice of the pie.
In 2022, Cyber Monday was the big ecommerce winner – with Black Friday following in second.
This year, total retail growth is going back to normal. What does that mean for the season ahead?
- The 2023 holiday season is likely to resume more typical growth patterns of double-digit growth for ecommerce. ¹
- The season starts earlier – mostly all of Q4 – starting with Amazon’s October Prime Day, and competing promotions. ¹
- Overall retail spending will rise 4.5% to $1.328 trillion for the 2023 holiday season. Ecommerce sales will grow 11.9% to $260.56 billion – with mcommerce driving nearly half of ecommerce sales.¹
If you are a merchant using EMV® 3-D Secure as a tool in your fraud prevention strategy, you need to know that your provider is ready. Increased sales mean transaction volume is up and fraudsters are out – and you should feel confident that your authentication provider can handle both. Here’s some points you should discuss with your provider:
If you are a merchant, ask:
- What have you done to enhance security?
- Do you have an adequate security team and 24/7 monitoring for an overall strong security footprint?
- Have you increased your database capacity and lowered bandwidth utilization to handle the increased volume and improve performance and reliability?
- What procedures are in place if there is a problem?
- What type of issue identification and resolution processes are in place?
- What is your incident management process?
- And finally, who do I contact if my transactions are affected?
If you are an issuer:
- Review your fraud tools and strategy so that all are working together to help reduce fraud and lower false declines.
- If you are using EMV® 3-D Secure as part of your fraud prevention strategy, make sure your provider is ready for the increase in volume.
- Be sure you are using EMV 3DS to its fullest – getting all the rich data you can to make the most informed decisions with the best user experience possible.
- Talk to your Customer Success Manager or representative and ask them how to make sure you don’t jeopardize top of wallet by needless false declines.
- Optimize EMV 3DS using Method URL on every transaction to make sure you are getting the best possible authorization results.
Here at Cardinal, we’ve been preparing and will continue to prep to handle your increased transactions, both browser and in-app.
EMV 3DS and Cardinal’s Mobile SDK can help you get the most out of this year’s double-digit ecommerce and growing mcommerce holiday sales. Reach out to our trusted advisors if you have questions – we’re here to help.
Here’s to the holidays!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
¹ Insider Intelligence, eMarketer, US Holiday 2022 Review and Holiday 2023 Preview: How the Rise of October Holiday Shopping Alters the 2023 Forecast, February 2023